GRAB SOME POPCORN, RELAX, AND ENJOY THE SHOW!

Sunday, June 14, 2009

FATHER OF THE BRIDE

FADE IN:

INT. HOME OFFICE - DAY

A MIDDLE-AGED MAN is on the telephone gleaning a sheet of paper in his other hand.

MAN
(irate)
Hold on just a second.

He gathers up another sheet of paper.

MAN
(increasingly ired)
I'll call you right back.

MAN
(bellows)
Mary!

His WIFE rushes in.

MARY
Must you shout so, Albie?

ALBIE
What's this?

MARY
It's the bill for the flowers.

ALBIE
Five thousand dollars? And this?

MARY
The Photographer.

ALBIE
That's it! One more week of this and we'll be
in the poor house!

MARY
Stop exaggerating.

Albie irately collects the invoices, rises, then paces.

ALBIE
I can understand a ten thousand dollar wedding
gown. But a coach? Why can't she have a limousine
like every other bride? Who do I look like? Walt Disney?

A young WOMAN rushes into the office CRYING hysterically.

DAUGHTER
There you are, Mother!

MARY
What's wrong, Christine?

CHRISTINE
(between sobs)
We...broke...up.

MARY
You and Rob broke up?

ALBIE
Wonderful news. I mean...

Mary glares at him as she guides Christine to a chair.

MARY
What happened?

Christine
He wants to elope. Can you believe it?

ALBIE
It's cheaper, that's for sure.

CHRISTINE
Father!

ALBIE
You know your mother and I eloped. And look
how long we've been happily married.

CHRISTINE
You did, didn't you? It's romantic, isn't it?

ROB rushes in.

ROB
Excuse me for barging in like this.

CHRISTINE
I have nothing to say. If you knew better, I
never want to see you again.

Albie skulks out of the office, then rushes through the house into the yard.


EXT. YARD - DAY

As he approaches the GARDENER,

ALBIE
Grab the ladder and place it at that window.
Then bring the car around.

The gardener winks.

ALBIE
Well?

Then turns back into the house.


INT. OFFICE - DAY

Albie returns to find Rob kneeling before Christine.

ROB
I'll do whatever it takes to make you happy, my love.

Albie notices the ladder swaying to and fro at the window.

ALBIE
Look. A ladder.

MARY
What's it doing there?

Albie grins coyly as he walks seductively towards Mary.

ALBIE
Don't you remember? How about we renew our vows.

MARY
(blushing)
Quite the romantic, you are.

Entranced, Christine watches on as Albie extends his arm, Mary wrapping hers around it. She jumps up and graps Rob's hand.

CHRISTINE
If it was good enough for my parents, it's
good enough for me!

MARY
What? Now?

CHRISTINE
Yes, now! The four of us!

LAUGHING, they crawl through the window and step carefully onto the ladder. From the garden,

GARDENER
Where are the suitcases?

MARY
And money!

The four step back up the ladder and crawl back into the office. All rush out but Albie who sits at his desk, reflecting.

Upon their return,

MARY
(excitedly)
I packed for you, dear.

Albie rises, then stands before them.

ALBIE
Rob, a happy wife is a happy life.
Remember that.
(hugs Christine)
My angel, I won't put a price on your
happiness. You have your wedding...with
all the bells and whistles. And you'll make
me the proudest father in the world.

Christine
(buries herself in his arms)
Daddy, you're the best!

FADE TO BLACK

**written by petra michelle**

http://petramichelle.blogspot.com/

AND HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!

8 comments:

i beati said...

always - never be my father but a great one here..sandy

Anonymous said...

I loved this!!!!!!!! What a perfect June Story. This is another one that would be a great movie.

Anonymous said...

Never underestimate a woman`s influence! It would make a great short.

David

LarryG said...

ahh, well, father knows best again, doncha know, sweetly done Petra!

Rowena said...

Nobody invited Elvis?

Tipper said...

Oh so romantic on so many levels-I think you should go to more weddings Petra-if this is the inspiration you get : ) outstanding!

Jay said...

I didn't vote because I didn't have the option to choose Johnny Depp for Rob, and me for Christine. I know, I know, I'm married already, but if a girl can dream, so can a middle-aged woman, can't she? ;)

GrizzBabe said...

"A happy wife is a happy life" I like that! I'm gonna cross stitch it on a pillow and give it to my fiance.