GRAB SOME POPCORN, RELAX, AND ENJOY THE SHOW!

Saturday, March 27, 2010

THE GOOD EARTH - An encore presentation

And the winners are:
Girl - Dakota Fanning (33%)
Young Woman/Bride/Mother - Kate Winslet (50%)
Grandmother - Helen Mirren (50%)
Young Man/Groom - Jude Law (100%) A FIRST! :))
Grandfather/Senior - Liam Neeson (50%)
Thank you for voting!


FADE IN:

EXT. COUNTRY HOME - DAY

On a balmy Spring day, a young GIRL walks up the stairs of her home with her MOTHER while savoring a peach. She studies its glistening pit, then smiles.

GIRL
I'll be right back, mom.

She runs down the stairs to an open expanse of land outside the house. She drops to her knees, digs a hole in the moist earth with her fingers, then gently sets the peach pit into its center, covering it lovingly with the dug-up soil.

As she rises, she notes the location of the small mound, then runs home.

TEN YEARS LATER

The young girl, now a young WOMAN rests against the blossoming tree studying with her college SWEETHEART. He lifts her hand and gently kisses it, she bent over to nestle his hair.

ANOTHER TEN YEARS LATER

Under the now twenty-year old tree, a wedding PHOTOGRAPHER is taking pictures of the woman turned BRIDE with her college sweetheart, now GROOM. Wedding GUESTS surround them excitedly, sharing in their joy.

YET ANOTHER TEN YEARS

Picknicking with her three young CHILDREN under the slivers of sunlight and shade, she observes her surroundings with reverence while two dogs are playfully barking and chasing each other.

SOME YEARS LATER

Mature in age, she and her husband exchange proud glances while their children and GRANDCHILDREN are exhuberantly feasting at their annual Spring reunion under the tree's rustling and protective branches.

CUT TO:

Her husband, now in his senior years, stands alone under the rich spread of the peach tree's blossoms. As he caresses its bark,

HUSBAND
Olan, you are the Earth.

FADE TO BLACK

**written by petra michelle**

http://petramichelle.blogspot.com/

8 comments:

Ron said...

Hi Petra!

OMG...this was sooo beautiful!!

When I got to the final line my heart melted. I was so moved.

What a faaabulous ending!

Her life had come full circle with the tree.

And the music you chose was perfect, because it really added to the FEEL of the scene. I love how you create these posts because it's like watching a scene in a movie as the music in the background takes you on the journey. JUST like a movie!

I really like the actors you chose, so I tried to cast it as a look-a-like from young to old.

Thanks for sharing, yet another creative and unique scene, dear lady.

You have such a talent!

Hope you're enjoying your weekend!

X

i beati said...

You kow I worked for Pearl S buck foundation 8 years you do her justice with this

I wrote about Paul Newman today and James Garner 3 days ago.

Anonymous said...

So beautifully written Petra!

I remember wanting to grow anything I could when I was younger.

Gorgeous! K.

Maude Lynn said...

I still love this. I think that it's one of my favorites.

Tipper said...

Ohhh-one of my favorites. It's so lovely-it just makes me sigh. I've often wished trees could tell me what they've seen-what they know. In fact-I was just wishing it this past weekend. One of your best ones Petra!

sarah, rsm said...

I read the book awhile ago and picked-ep the movie today!

I pictured the little, curly-haired girl in the Pepsi commercials as soon as I began to read and couldn't get her out of my head. :-]

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful story. The bittersweet ending took me by surprise and left me teary-eyed. You have a gift.

Davidpeace

sarah, rsm said...

Petra,

I watched the DVD last weekend and loved it! I thought of you many times throughout ...

:)